Bilbao’s transformation from industrial ugly duckling into a designer swan is astounding: instead of rusted steel shipyards on the bank of the Nervión river, there now stand the Guggenheim Museum made of complex titanium steel curves. But the city has plenty more eye fodder to offer.
My top-10 Bilbao travel tips
- Guggenheim-Museum by Frank Gehry
- Zubizuri bridge by Santiago Calatrava
- Casco Viejo – the Old Town with Bilbao cathedral
- Gourmet restaurants
- Pintxos: Mercado de la Ribera meat and vegetable market hall
- The shopping mile
- Estadio de San Mamés
- The Bilbao tourist office
- Vizcaya bridge
- Gaztelugatxe peninsula and chapel
For all who may want to know what all there is to discover in...